Going green is quickly climbing the ladder on priority lists everywhere, not just because it’s good for the planet and our health, but because it can also save you some cash. Some of these ideas can help your wallet get bigger while your carbon footprint gets smaller.
- Bike or walk to work to save money on gas.
- Use public transportation or carpool with a friend.
2. Your energy bill
- Switch to energy-efficient lightbulbs and appliances.
- Turn off lights in rooms you’re not using.
- Use a power strip or unplug when you can to reduce “phantom” energy being used.
- Line-dry clothes instead of using the dryer.
- Turn your thermostat down just a few extra degrees in the winter and up in the summer.
3. Conserve water
- Use a rain barrel to collect water for plants and gardens.
- Install low-flow shower heads and reduce the length of your showers.
- Turn off running water if it’s not in use.
- Fix leaky faucets or pipes.
4. Eliminate disposables
- Buy your own reusable bottles instead of purchasing bottled water.
- Opt to wash plates, glasses, and silverware instead of using plastic disposables that get thrown away.
- Make your own cleaners, detergents, and soap.
- Use reusable grocery bags instead of the plastic ones they give you at the store.
5. Recycle electronics
- Keep cell phones and computers for as long as you can, and then donate or recycle them properly.